[Numpy-discussion] Uncomfortable with matrix change

Travis Oliphant teoliphant@gmail....
Fri May 9 08:43:04 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm having trouble emailing this list from work, so I'm using a
different email address.

After Nathan Bell's recent complaints, I'm a bit more uncomfortable with
the matrix change to scalar indexing.   It does and will break code in
possibly hard-to-track down ways.   Also, Nathan has been a *huge*
contributor to the Sparse matrix in scipy and so I value his opinion
about the NumPy matrix.  One of my goals is to have those two objects
work together a bit more seamlessly.

So, I think we need to:

1) Add a warning to scalar access
2) Back-out the change and fix all the places where NumPy assumes
incorrectly that the number of dimensions reduce on PySequence_GetItem.

Opinions?

-Travis