[Numpy-discussion] warn of matrix change?

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Sat May 10 15:07:03 CDT 2008

On Sat, 10 May 2008, Jarrod Millman apparently wrote:
> I don't think it makes sense to add deprecation warnings
> at this point--unless we know exactly what it is that we
> will be doing in the future.

My last comment on this ...

As a user, I would want to know *now* that the behavior of
scalar indexing is targeted for a change, especially since
I can easily write my code *now* to avoid being affected by
this.

E.g., suppose instead of incorporating Travis's patch (which
I support) NumPy adopted Gael's proposal (and Tim's?) to raise
an IndexError for scalar indexes.  In either case, code
written with non-scalar indexes will continue to work as
expected, but code written with scalar indexes will often
break.

So it only seems fair to include a warning now.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac