[Numpy-discussion] Uncomfortable with matrix change

Sat May 10 15:37:18 CDT 2008

2008/5/10 Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Anne Archibald
> <peridot.faceted@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't expect my opinion to prevail, but the point is that we do not
>> even have enough consensus to agree on a recommendation to go in the
>> DeprecationWarning. Alas.
>
> Would you object to raising a general Warning with a message like the following?
>
> "matrix indexing of the form x[0] is ambiguous, consider the explicit
> format x[0,:]"

Well, since I at least have proposed changing the latter as well, the
warning doesn't actually help with deprecation. It does reduce the
amount of beginner foot-shooting (as in x[0][0]), I guess, so I'm not
opposed to it.

Anne