[Numpy-discussion] Uncomfortable with matrix change

Timothy Hochberg tim.hochberg@ieee....
Sat May 10 16:35:51 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Anne Archibald <peridot.faceted@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2008/5/10 Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com>:
> > On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Anne Archibald
> > <peridot.faceted@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't expect my opinion to prevail, but the point is that we do not
> >> even have enough consensus to agree on a recommendation to go in the
> >> DeprecationWarning. Alas.
> >
> > Would you object to raising a general Warning with a message like the
> following?
> >
> > "matrix indexing of the form x[0] is ambiguous, consider the explicit
> > format x[0,:]"
>
> Well, since I at least have proposed changing the latter as well, the
> warning doesn't actually help with deprecation. It does reduce the
> amount of beginner foot-shooting (as in x[0][0]), I guess, so I'm not
> opposed to it.

Please, let's just leave the current matrix class alone. Any change
sufficient to make matrix not terrible, will break everyone's code. Instead,
the goal should be build a new matrix class (say newmatrix) where we can
start from scratch. We can build it and keep it alpha for a while so we can
break the interface as needed while we get experience with it and then,
maybe, transition matrix to oldmatrx and newmatrix to matrix over a couple
of releases. Or just choose a reasonable name for matrix to begin with
(ndmatrix?) and then deprecate the current matrix class when the new one is
fully baked.

Trying to slowly morph matrix into something usable is just going to break
code again and again and just be a giant headache in general.

--
. __
. |-\