[Numpy-discussion] Uncomfortable with matrix change

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Sun May 11 11:26:49 CDT 2008

On Sun, 11 May 2008, Gael Varoquaux apparently wrote:
> Pluging one annoyance to create another one (IMHO worse),
> and in addition breaking backward compatibility seems
> utterly wrong to me.

I'm a little puzzled by this phrasing.

As Anne pointed out, examples are accumulating that there is
a *fundamental* problem with matrix handling of scalar
indexing.  I agree with this.  It is not just an
"annoyance".  It keeps affecting code that tries to handle
both matrices and arrays in a generic way.

Your phrasing suggests that the only solution is to live
with this forever, always cobbling new workarounds, unless
backward compatability can be ensured for more sensible
behavior, which it pretty clearly cannot.  Is that your
current stance?

I suspect part of the problem is that "backward
compatability" is being interpreted in terms of discoverable
behavior, rather than in terms of documented behavior.

Alan

PS Earlier I thought you favored raising an error in
response to scalar indexing of matrices...