[Numpy-discussion] Going toward time-based release ?

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Mon May 12 12:48:55 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist@gmail.com> wrote:
>  numpy.oldnumeric.ma is not bug-free, however: Charles recently pointed out a
>  problem with power, that failed to work properly with a float exponent. We
>  fixed the problem in numpy.ma, but left the old package unmodified. In short,
>  numpy.oldnumeric.ma is no longer supported, and left for convenience.

My question was whether there was some way we could, by making some
very minor changes, make the transition more gradual.  Specifically, I
was suggesting two things:

1.  It seemed to me that a lot of the users of the old ma
implementation called it from np.core.  Since the new implementation
doesn't get called from there, would it make sense to have the old
implementation reside in np.core rather than in np.oldnumeric?
2.  Should we add an import warning to the old implementation
explaining the change.  Something like "np.core.ma (or
np.oldnumeric.ma) is deprecated.  It is no longer being supported, so
it will no longer receive bug fixes.  Please consider using np.ma.  In
1.3, np.core.ma is moving to np.oldnumeric.ma.

Any comments on whether this would be helpful or useful.  Is there
anything else we should consider to ease the pains caused by this
transition?

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman