[Numpy-discussion] Going toward time-based release ?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon May 12 14:57:03 CDT 2008

2008/5/12 Eric Firing <efiring@hawaii.edu>:
>  The earlier strategy, of putting the old version solely in oldnumeric,
>  is somewhat less likely to cause the problem because it requires anyone
>  wanting the old version to deliberately select it--so at least the
>  person is then aware that something has changed.

I think that's a good idea.  If I recall correctly, numpy.core.ma had
been exposed as numpy.ma, and some code uses it.  Having an old and a
new version in places where previously only the old version used to be
won't solve the problem.  The two MaskedArray modules are (supposed to
be) API compatible, and we shouldn't see any breakage (Charles'
experience was unfortunate, but that's been sorted out now);
therefore, I'd expose the new masked arrays as numpy.ma and add a
warning to the release message, which also refers anyone with problems
to  numpy.oldnumeric.ma (which, btw, has a number of bugs itself,
which were discovered while coding the new masked arrays).

Regards
Stéfan