[Numpy-discussion] Installing numpy/scipy on CentOS 4

Mon May 12 20:38:38 CDT 2008

Robert Kern wrote:

> It's still called libf77blas regardless. Well, you don't have ATLAS
> installed. Or if you do, it's an extremely weird installation of
> ATLAS.

It is weird, but there is a rationale to the weirdness :) It is
basically imposible to build a rpm for ATLAS, because every build
produces a different binary. Because there is no atlas binary, I cannot
depend on it, and so numpy/scipy depends on netlib blas/lapack.

For people who still want to use atlas, I provided a source rpm that
people can use if they want. Instead of building atlas the "normal" way,
it builds full blas and lapack, which are drop-in replacements for
netlib blas/lapack, while using atlas optimization. It means that atlas
specific optimizations in numpy/scipy won't be used, but well, that's
better than nothing, and is certainly faster for many operations than
netlib.

It works pretty well on opensuse 10, fedora 6, 7, and 8, as well as RHEL
5, both 32 and 64 bits so I would be surprised if there was a problem
specific to centos related to atlas.

All this is put on the wiki. I am open to suggestion for better
instructions:

http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux

cheers,

David