[Numpy-discussion] 1.1 dev on the trunk and the road to 1.2

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Tue May 13 20:39:35 CDT 2008

Hello,

Well it has become obvious that I branched way too soon.  My bad.  So
I removed the branch:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/changeset/5163
And updated the version.py to reflect that the trunk is still for 1.1
development:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/changeset/5164
Sorry for the confusion.

This shouldn't cause any problems, I took a quick look and:
1. I didn't see anything that had been added to the trunk that
shouldn't go into 1.1.0
2. I didn't see anything that had been added to the branch that wasn't
also in the trunk

I have made mistakes in the past (present case in point), so I would
appreciate if everyone would verify their recent changes as well.
There are still a few little things that need to be done before 1.1.0
is released, so I am going to wait a few more days.  Then instead of
creating a branch, I will tag a release candidate from the trunk and
ask for a short code freeze.  I will ask the community for wide
testing of the release candidate.  I also hope that we can create
binaries of the release candidates, so we can test them.  If the
release candidate looks good, it will become the official 1.1.0
release.

At that point I will update the trunk's version.py for 1.1.1
development (a minor, bug-fix only release).  At that point we will
only allow bug-fixes, tests, and improved documentation to be
committed to the trunk.  During this phase we can continue the
conversation about what should go into the 1.2 release and the early
work will be done in a development branch.  Matthew Brett has all
ready agreed to create a branch to migrate NumPy to the nose testing
framework (like he did for SciPy recently).

If reasonable I will release 1.1.1 from the trunk within a month of
the 1.1.0 release.  Just to reiterate, 1.1.1 will *only* include bug
fixes, tests, and documentation.

Once 1.1.1 is released and the 1.2 development branch has stabilized
(e.g., the move to nose is complete) we will move the 1.2 development
to the trunk and the 1.1.2 development will move to a branch.  I
expect this to happen before the end of June.

About one month after moving the 1.2 development to the trunk, I will
ask everyone to review the status of the new features/changes that
have happened on the trunk.  I expect that at that time, we will stop
trying to add new features and will enter a feature freeze.  At the
end of this review I will tag a beta of the 1.2.0 release and ask
David and Chris to create Mac and Windows binaries so that we can get
the benefit of a much wider testing audience.  I expect this to happen
before the end of July.

I will organize a 1.2 bug-fixing sprint at the end of the SciPy
conference.  Hopefully, the 1.2 release can be announced at the end or
shortly after the conference

Of course, we have to start by getting 1.1.0 out first!

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley