[Numpy-discussion] let's use patch review

Thu May 15 23:45:18 CDT 2008

Anne Archibald wrote:
> I think here's the rub: when I hear "patch review system" it sounds to
> me like an obstacle course for getting code into the software. Maybe
> it's justified, but I think at the moment there are many many things
> that are just awaiting a little bit of attention from someone who
> knows the code. A patch review system overapplied would multiply that
> number by rather a lot.

I think in this discussion, it is easy to see the drawbacks, and not
seeing the advantages (better code, etc...).

> How about a purely-optional patch review system? I've submitted
> patches I wanted reviewed before they went in the trunk. As it was, I
> didn't have SVN access, so I just posted them to trac or emailed them
> to somebody, who then pondered and committed them. But a patch review
> system - provided people were promptly reviewing patches - would have
> fit the bill nicely.

It is not much, but I've just created a trac report to see all (open)
tickets with an attachment. What would be good would be to create a new
ticket type, like patch, such as instead of seeing all attachments
(including build log as now), we see real attachments.

I know next to nothing about databases and how complicated it would be
to do it in trac, but I know other projects using trac have it, so it is
doable.

cheers,

David