[Numpy-discussion] question about optimizing

Sat May 17 12:39:42 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Alan G Isaac <aisaac@american.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 May 2008, Anne Archibald apparently wrote:
> > storing actual python objects in an array is probably not
> > a good idea
>
> I have been wondering what people use object arrays for.
> I have been guessing that it is for indexing convenience?
> Are there other core motivations?

You can always define an object array of matrices, which solves Tim's
problem of matrix stacks, albeit in not the most efficient manner and not
the easiest thing to specify due to the current limitations of array(...). I
do think it would be nice to have arrays or arrays, but this needs one more
array type so that one can do something like array(list_of_arrays,
dtype=matrix((2,3),float)), i.e., we could use a fancier dtype.

Chuck