[Numpy-discussion] svd in numpy

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus@yale....
Sun May 18 06:38:46 CDT 2008

On May 17, 2008, at 9:34 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> Nripun Sredar wrote:
>> I have a sparse matrix 416x52. I tried to factorize this matrix using
>> svd from numpy. But it didn't produce a result and looked like it is
>> in an infinite loop.
>> I tried a similar operation using random numbers in the matrix. Even
>> this is in an infinite loop.
>> Did anyone else face a similar problem?
>> Can anyone please give some suggestions?
>
> Are you on windows ? What is the CPU on your machine ? I suspect
> this is
> caused by windows binaries which shipped blas/lapack without support
> for
> "old" CPU.

I have seen this issue as well, on Windows XP running on a Core2 Duo.
(But... it was a virtualized environment with VirtualBox, so I don't
know if that disables the SSE features.)

Anyhow, this was with the latest windows binaries, I think
(numpy-1.0.4.win32-py2.5.msi), and had the same issue: infinite loop
with 100% processor doing a SVD. (Non-sparse array, though.)

Zach