[Numpy-discussion] Branching 1.1.x and starting 1.2.x development

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Tue May 20 07:11:57 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 3:47 AM, Pearu Peterson <pearu@cens.ioc.ee> wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 12:59 pm, Jarrod Millman wrote:
>
>> Commits to the trunk (1.2.x) should follow these rules:
>>
>> 1.  Documentation fixes are allowed and strongly encouraged.
>> 2.  Bug-fixes are strongly encouraged.
>> 3.  Do not break backwards compatibility.
>> 4.  New features are permissible.
>> 5.  New tests are highly desirable.
>> 6.  If you add a new feature, it must have tests.
>> 7.  If you fix a bug, it must have tests.
>>
>> If you want to break a rule, don't.  If you feel you absolutely have
>> to, please don't--but feel free send an email to the list explain your
>> problem.
>> In particular, let me know it there is some aspect of this that
>> you simply refuse to agree to in at least principle.
>
> Since you asked, I have a problem with the rule 7 when applying
> it to packages like numpy.distutils and numpy.f2py, for instance.

I obviously knew this would be controversial.  Personally, I would
prefer if we boldly state that tests are required.  I know that this
"rule" will be broken occasionally and may not even always make sense.
 We could  change the language to be something like "if you a fix a
bug, there should be tests".  Saying "you must" means that you're
breaking a rule when you don't.  Importantly I am not proposing that
we have some new enforcement mechanism; I am happy to leave this to
Stefan and whoever else wants to join him. (Thanks Stefan--you have
taken on a tough job!)

However, let's not worry too much about this at this point.  Let's get
1.1.0 out.  I think everyone agrees that unit tests are a good idea,
some are more passionate than others.  We need to figure out how best
to increase the number of tests, but we are doing a great job
currently.  NumPy 1.0.4 had around 686 tests and the trunk now has
roughly 996 tests.

For now, let's officially consider rules 6 and 7 to have question
marks at the end of them.  Once 1.1.0 is out and we have started
developing 1.2, we can start this conversation again.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley