[Numpy-discussion] data exchange format

Tue May 20 11:31:54 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Gary Pajer <gary.pajer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Gabriel J.L. Beckers
> <beckers@orn.mpg.de> wrote:
> > PyTables is an efficient way of doing it (http://www.pytables.org). You
> > essentially write data to a HDF5 file, which is portable and can be read
> > in Matlab or in a C program (using the HDF5 library).
> >
> > Gabriel
>
> I thought about that.  It seems to have much more than I need, so I
> wonder if it's got more overhead / less speed / more complex API than
> I need.   But big isn't necessarily bad, but it might be.  Is pytables
> overkill?

PyTables is a nice bit of software and is worth getting familiar with if you
want portable data. It will solve issues of endianess, annotation, and data
organization, which can all be important, especially if your data sits
around for a while and you forget exactly what's in it. Both Matlab and IDL
support reading HDF5 files.

Chuck