[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy/SciPy Documentation Marathon 2008

Wed May 21 14:46:50 CDT 2008

2008/5/21 LB <berthe.loic@gmail.com>:
> This is really a great news, and it seems very promising according to
> the first pages of the Wiki that I've seen.
>
> It's perhaps not the right place to say this, but I was wondering what
> you would thinking about adding labels or category to the descriptions
> of each function ? I think It would really help newcomers to search
> around the 400 functions of numpy if they could use some labels to
> precise theirs thoughts.

You're right that some kind of categorization would be very valuable.
I think that this is planned, but the doc marathon organizers can
presumably give a more detailed answer.

> Until now, the most efficient why of finding the numpy  function that
> fits my needds what to search after some words in the numpy example
> list page. This was not always very fast and labels like "array
> creation", "shape manipulation",    "index operation",
> "arithmetic", ...etc, could simplify this kind of search.

In the short term, there's the numpy functions by category page on the wiki:
http://www.scipy.org/Numpy_Functions_by_Category
Of course, this page is already incomplete, and nobody is
systematically updating it. Really the right solution is what you
propose, annotating each function and then automatically generating
such a list.

Anne