[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy/SciPy Documentation Marathon 2008

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Wed May 21 14:51:24 CDT 2008

Hi LB

2008/5/21 LB <berthe.loic@gmail.com>:
> This is really a great news, and it seems very promising according to
> the first pages of the Wiki that I've seen.
>
> It's perhaps not the right place to say this, but I was wondering what
> you would thinking about adding labels or category to the descriptions
> of each function ? I think It would really help newcomers to search
> around the 400 functions of numpy if they could use some labels to
> precise theirs thoughts.

If you take a look at the new docstring standard, we've introduced a
new `index` tag, that can be used as follows:

   :refguide: trigonometry, ufunc

We still need to decide on which categories to use, but the markup is there.

> Until now, the most efficient why of finding the numpy  function that
> fits my needds what to search after some words in the numpy example
> list page. This was not always very fast and labels like "array
> creation", "shape manipulation",    "index operation",
> "arithmetic", ...etc, could simplify this kind of search.

Watch this space!

Cheers
Stéfan