[Numpy-discussion] 1.1.x branch and 1.1.0 tag imminent

Sat May 24 09:53:22 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Jarrod Millman <millman@berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:28 PM, David Cournapeau
> <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> > I too think we should make the release ASAP, I am tired of it (as you
> > certainly are :) ).
>
> Absolutely!  I just created the 1.1.x maintenance branch:
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/changeset/5227
>
> The trunk is now open for 1.2 development:
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/changeset/5228
> I know several people have code for 1.2 who have been patiently
> waiting for me.  Please feel free to go ahead and commit your code to
> the trunk now.  Alan McIntyre officially starts his Google Summer of
> Code project on Monday.  One of his first tasks will be to help
> convert NumPy to the nose testing framework.  That will probably start
> in a branch and then get merged all at once just like Matthew Brett
> did for SciPy.  Also Stefan should feel free to start committing all
> the documentation work to the trunk now.
>
> If no one has any more input on the recent buildbot failures, I will
> tag 1.1.0 from the branch tomorrow morning.  Chris Burns is on
> vacation (it is memorial day in the States) until Monday, so he won't
> be able to create the Mac binaries until then.  Most likely, since
> David is around the Windows binary will be available shortly after I
> tag the release.
>
> I will announce the NumPy 1.1.0 release late Monday night or early on
> Tuesday.  Thanks to everyone who worked so hard getting this release
> out.  Sorry that the release management was so uneven and frustrating.
>  I will be happy to discuss what could have been done differently or
> better.
>
> I have tried to keep the release notes up-to-date as we went; but if
> you have any time, now would be a great time for a final pass:
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/milestone/1.1.0

Because the default testing level is now all=True some old tests no longer
in numpy are also run if they are hanging around in site-packages. So I
think we should have a note telling folks to start with a clean install,
i.e., they should delete the previous install from site-packages.

Chuck