[Numpy-discussion] build outside C code with scons within numpy distutils

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus@yale....
Sun May 25 10:25:32 CDT 2008

Hello all,

I've been following David's work making numpy build with scons with
some interest. I have a quick question about how one might use scons/
numpy distutils from an outside project.

Specifically, I have a package that uses numpy and numpy.distutils to
built itself. Unfortunately, there are some pure-C libraries that I
call using ctypes, and as these libraries are are not python
extensions, it is hard to get distutils to build them happily on all
platforms. From what I understand, one of the benefits of having scons
available was that building and packaging these sort of libraries
would become easier.

Is that the case? And if so, what would be the best way to add the
scons stuff to a simple setup.py file written for numpy.distutils?

Thanks,
Zach