[Numpy-discussion] Current ufunc signatures for review

Sun May 25 15:01:44 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Charles R Harris <
charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> su, 2008-05-25 kello 12:12 -0600, Charles R Harris kirjoitti:
>> [clip]
>> > 1) Help strings on ufuncs don't work. This seems to be a problem with
>> the help function, as
>> >    printing the relevant __doc__ works fine. The docstrings are
>> currently defined in
>> >    code_generators/generate_umath.py and add_newdoc doesn't seem to work
>> for them.
>>
>> Yes, this is a problem with the help function. In pydoc.py in the Python
>> standard library:
>>
>> def doc(...):
>>        if not (inspect.ismodule(object) or
>>                inspect.isclass(object) or
>>                inspect.isroutine(object) or
>>                inspect.isgetsetdescriptor(object) or
>>                inspect.ismemberdescriptor(object) or
>>                isinstance(object, property)):
>>            # If the passed object is a piece of data or an instance,
>>            # document its available methods instead of its value.
>>            object = type(object)
>>
>> Is it possible to make one of the above conditions True for ufuncs?
>>

> I don't see why not, we could have numpy.doc. Hmm, it should probably be
> changed in ipython also. Something like
>
> In [5]: isinstance(sin, numpy.ufunc)
> Out[5]: True
>
> might do the trick.

As to fixing things so that default python help works, hmmm. I don't know
how to do that. The functions in the inspect module all use python types,
and I'm not sure how to make numpy.ufunc recognizable.

Chuck