[Numpy-discussion] Probable errors in type promotions in binary ufuncs.

Mon May 26 14:00:23 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Charles R Harris <
charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> Continuing the ufunc saga, here are some probable error in the type
> promotions.
> The data is best viewed in a fixed spaced font, so you might want to use an
> html aware mail client.
>
> The output type of the following functions should be symmetric in the input
> types, but aren't.
> Note the columns/rows for the l,L types.

<snip>

I note that on my machine (32 bit) i and l are the same length. So the first
part  might only be an error in the sense that the associated dtype.char
should be the same in these two cases. If instead this reflects a difference
in the underlying c type, then this needs to be checked on 64 bit machines
and with different compilers, so I've attached the script I've been using.

Chuck