[Numpy-discussion] Is this a bug?

Mon May 26 14:52:00 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I vaguely recall this generated an array from all the characters.
> >
> > In [1]: array('123', dtype='c')
> > Out[1]:
> > array('1',
> >       dtype='|S1')
>
> When was the last time it did otherwise? This behavior is a
> consequence of treating strings as scalars rather than containers of
> characters. I believe we settled on this behavior before 1.0.

The 'c' type is special, it is a left over compatibility type for numeric.
It would, I think, have been several months ago that it behaved differently.
Maybe I should check out a version from before Travis's latest fixes for
matrix types went in, because there used to be an exception in the code for
the 'c' type.

Chuck