[Numpy-discussion] Binary ufuncs: minimum

Tue May 27 11:06:09 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:51 AM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za>
> wrote:
> > Did this change recently?
> >
> > In [33]: np.__version__
> > Out[33]: '1.1.0.dev5211'
> >
> > In [34]: np.minimum(np.uint8(164), np.uint64(12807)).dtype
> > Out[34]: dtype('uint64')
> >
> > But yes, that looks like it should return a uint8.
>
> While it is possible for the result to fit into uint8, that would
> break the generic ufunc casting rules.

What generic rules? If you look, you will already find exceptions. And
should such rules apply to the bitwise operators? The shift operators? What
are the rules for comparing strings with numbers?
I put posted these results for comment and review because they will soon be
made permanent. I also don't think ufuncs should return object arrays in any
circumstance that doesn't have an object array as part of the input.

Chuck