[Numpy-discussion] Binary ufuncs: minimum

Tue May 27 19:08:22 CDT 2008

Charles R Harris wrote:
> I guess it
> depends on what guarantees we want to make, which is what this is all about.

Exactly. However, while I'd like to guarantee that abs(x) >= 0, the
truth is that numpy is "close to the metal" in a lot of ways, and anyone
should know that the arithmetic of integers near max and minimum values
is fraught with danger.

If we don't change the type, then any number other than MIN_INT works
correctly. I think more code will break by silently going from a signed
to a signed type than that one value being weird.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov