[Numpy-discussion] Question for Travis

Fri May 30 02:19:05 CDT 2008

Charles R Harris wrote:
> Travis,
>
> What are the fundamental types for ndarrays? We have the c types,
> 'bBhHiIlLqQfdg', together with the boolean and complex types. Then we
> have types defined by length, int8, uint8, etc. The long types change
> length going from 32 to 64 bit machines, so there can be a couple of
> c-types corresponding to the same precision. So I am wondering which
> types should be considered "fundamental" and what types are used to
> identify pickled arrays and arrays stored with the new .nz formats.
I don't know what you mean.

Arrays can have dynamic PyArray_Descr objects.

The "fundamental" ones would be the builtin ones which are the 21
ctypes.   The int8, uint8, etc are also "fundamental" in the sense that
they correspond to built-in types.

I don't know what you mean by the last question regarding identifying
pickled arrays and arrays stored with the new .nz formats?

-Travis