[Numpy-discussion] Complete LAPACK needed (Frank Lagor)

Sat Nov 1 09:10:36 CDT 2008

Frank Lagor wrote:
> Problem solved-- This posting is just to complete the thread to
> document it if others have similar issues.

Glad you could solve it.

> The previous error:
> ImportError: liblapack.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
>
> was solved simply by checking that the environment variables were set
> properly.  I set BLAS, LAPACK, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables (I'm not
> sure if the LD one was needed, but this worked)

Yes, the LD_ is necessary (LD stands for loader).

> The next issue I ran into was that the error message changed to
> "undefined symbol _dgesdd",
> which I googled and discovered was a routine for singular value
> decomposition that was missing-- meaning that my liblapack.so file was
> incomplete.  I checked this by doing
> $ strings liblapack.so | grep dgesdd

Note that strings is not really the best way to check that: nm is.
strings only look for strings in the binary, and does not look for
symbols (e.g. you could find a string which does not correspond to a
function the loader and/or the linker can find).

> and noticing that the output was blank.  The output was not blank
> however in the lapack _LINUX.a install from the netlib lapack, so that
> meant that my ATLAS install was incorrect.  I changed the way that I
> specified the configure for ATLAS.  I had to use the
> --with-netlib-lapack option (as stated in one of the installation
> files) instead of the "-Ss flapack pathname"

Ah yes, I could never manage to make this option work either. I always
use --with-netlib-lapack when I need to build a custom ATLAS.

cheers,

David