[Numpy-discussion] atlas not found, why?

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Tue Nov 4 08:35:56 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Scott Sinclair <sinclaird@ukzn.ac.za> wrote:

> When I upgraded from Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 it broke my Numpy install (mighty irritating). I haven't looked in detail, but It seems as if some of the packages related to ATLAS have been renamed and the post-upgrade "cleanup" removed the development packages as it considered them obsolete.

Yes, it is because of the g77->gfortran transition. The new atlas
loaded by default is the gfortran built-one, which is installed by
default if you installed atlas before. As they remove g77 at the same
time, if you rebuild it, numpy will pick up gfortran, so it works by
rebuilding.

Fortunately, this won't happen again in a foreseeable future. It means
no major distribution use g77 for its standard fortran ABI anymore,
except RHEL.

cheers,

David