[Numpy-discussion] random number generation in python compared to gsl

Giovanni Samaey giovanni.samaey@cs.kuleuven...
Wed Nov 5 08:05:19 CST 2008

> Hi,
> how about other seed values ?  I thought seed=0, is (often) used to
> mean a "random", i.e. current time or alike, seed value ... !?

Not in this case: I always get the same sequence with seed=0
(different for both implementation, but the same each time I run it.)
I got around it by installing pygsl and taking random numbers from
there instead of from numpy.

But I still find it strange to get two different sequences from two
implementation that claim to be the same algorithm...

Giovanni