[Numpy-discussion] numpy, Py_ssize_t, cython and 64 bits python 2.4

Sun Nov 9 00:55:56 CST 2008

Hi,

    I took a quick look at two bugs in scipy.spatial and scipy.special,
linked to cython and 64 bits on python 2.4:

http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/785

At first, I was confused by the (runtime) error message given by cython;
Py_ssize_t is a feature added in 2.5. The definition when built against
python 2.4 is coming from numpy, which defines Py_ssize_t in
numpy/ndarrayobject, and defines it to an int in that case (as
recommended in PEP 353).

Is this a cython limitation (in which case I will move this discussion
to cython-dev), or is there a solution to support 64 bits python 2.4 in
numpy/scipy ?

cheers,

David