[Numpy-discussion] Questions on error handling/refcounting in some ufunc object loops.

Thu Nov 13 23:31:39 CST 2008

Charles R Harris wrote:

> I'm pretty sure about the reference leak. But what should be the
> standard for checking arguments and error returns in these object loops?

I was wondering the same when I worked on that code a few weeks ago;
since the ufunc "return" void, I wonder how feasible it would be to
return an int instead for error messaging. Since the ufunc are not used
directly outside numpy, it should not break the API/ABI in any way ?

I think more generally it would be nice to have a common error system
for the pure C code, because it is a bit of a mess right now. But that
would be again a lot of work :)

David