[Numpy-discussion] Getting indices from numpy array with condition

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Nov 18 14:06:06 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 04:48, David Warde-Farley <dwf@cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
> On 18-Nov-08, at 5:29 AM, Nicolas ROUX wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Maybe this is not so clever, but I can't find it in the doc.
>> I need to get all indices/index of all occurrences of a value in a
>> numpy
>> array
>>

>> As example:
>>
>> a = numpy.array([1,2,3],[4,5,6],[7,8,9])
>> I need to get the indice/index of all array elements where a[a>3]
>
> numpy.where(a > 3)

I like to discourage this use of where(). For some reason, back in
Numeric's days, where() got stuck with two functionalities. nonzero()
is the preferred function for this functionality. IMO, where(cond,
if_true, if_false) should be the only use of where().

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco