[Numpy-discussion] status of numpy 1.3.0

Mon Nov 24 06:16:29 CST 2008

Jarrod Millman wrote:
> Now that scipy 0.7.0b1 has been tagged, I wanted to start planning for
> the NumPy 1.3.0:
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/milestone/1.3.0

For completeness, we were wondering with  Jarrod if the main focus of
1.3 could be python 2.6 compatibility (plus what is already in, of
course). This is mainly a concern on Mac OS X and Windows (numpy seems
to build and work OK on 2.6 on linux last time I tried).

The rationale was that although python 2.6 is not really a must have
compared to 2.5 for most usage of numpy/scipy, since people are now
directed to python 2.6 on python.org for windows and mac os X installs,
getting it working on 2.6. ASAP would avoid too much trouble for newcomers.

> The original plan was to release 1.3 at the end of November.  At this
> point, we are going to have to push back the release date a bit.  I
> would like to get 1.3 out ASAP, so I would like aim for the third week
> of December.
>
> This is how I see the current development trunk:
>   * 2.6 compatablity (Linux 32- and 64-bit done, Windows 32-bit done,
> Mac 32-bit done)

A small summary of the issues:

I don:t know the status on Mac OS X for python 2.6 - last time I tried,
after having installed python 2.6, my installation was broken, and numpy
had many trouble, but that may well be my own mistake. Since many
developers are on Mac OS X, I guess any problem would be quickly fixed.

On Windows: numpy.distutils should now build a working numpy with mingw,
as long as the official binary for python 2.6 is built (I won:t go into
the details, but python 2.6 lacks some useful build info for numpy to be
reliably built with mingw for an arbitrary build - I am working on an
upstream patch , but this is unlikely to be available before python
2.7/python 3k).

Windows 64 is a PITA, because we can:t use any mingw or cygwin-based
toolchain (cygwin only supports 32 bits, mingw is experimental for 64
bits, and not even officially a part of the mingw project AFAIK). It
also looks like ATLAS cannot be built on 64 bits, too, since it requires
cygwin on windows, and ATLAS configuration fails right at the beginning
when I tried the 32 bits cywgin. Assuming I am the only one working on
this, I don:t see much hope to see more than a simple numpy built with
lapack-lite. This could be useful for people who use numpy for
matplotlib, for example; not sure if it worths the trouble.

>   * Refactoring numpy.core math configuration (?? bump to 1.4 ??)

This has been committed already

>   * Improvements to build warnings (?? bump to 1.4 ??)

Some has been committed as well, but this has no consequence on
distutils-based build (the warnings are only emitted with -W, which
distutils does not use by default).

David