[Numpy-discussion] More loadtxt() changes

Tue Nov 25 12:30:32 CST 2008

Pierre GM wrote:
>> would it possible to specify column header, rather than number here?
>
> A la mlab.csv2rec ?

I'll have to take a look at that.

> following John Hunter's et al. path. What happens when the column
> names are unknown (read from the header) or wrong ?

well, my use case is that I don't know column numbers, but I do now
column headers, and what "missing" value is associated with a give
header. You have to know something! if the header is wrong, you get an
error, though we may need to decide what "wrong" means.

In my case, I'm dealing with data that has pre-specified headers (and I
think missing values that go with them), but in any given file I don't
know which of those columns is there. I want to read it in, and be able
to query the result for what data it has.

> Actually, I'd like John to comment on that, hence the CC.

I don't see a CC ,but yes, it would be nice to get his input.

> More
> generally, wouldn't be useful to push the recarray manipulating
> functions from matplotlib.mlab to numpy ?

I think so -- or scipy. I 'd really like MPL to be about plotting, and
only plotting.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov