[Numpy-discussion] Problems building numpy on solaris 10 x86

Peter Norton spacey-numpy-discussion@lenin....
Tue Nov 25 17:54:08 CST 2008

Back in the beginning of the summer, I jumped through a lot of hoops to
build numpy+scipy on solaris, 64-bit with gcc. I received a lot of help from
David C., and ended up, by some very ugly hacking, building an acceptable
numpy+scipy+matplotlib trio for use at my company.

However, I'm back at it again trying to build the same tools in both a
32-bit abi and a 64-bit ABI. I'm starting with the 32-bit build, because I
suspect it'd be simpler (less trouble adding things like -m64 and other such
flags). However, I've run into a very basic problem right at the get-go.
This time instead of bothering David at the beginning of my build, I was
hoping that other people may have experience to contribute to resolving my
issues.

Here is my build environment:

1) gcc-4.3.1
2) Solaris 10 update 3
3) sunperf libraries (for blas+lapack support)

I can provide more detail since that's not a very specific list.

Anyway, when I try building numpy-1.2.1 after setting up my site.cfg and
build-related environment this is what I get:

Setting the site.cfg
Running from numpy source directory.
F2PY Version 2_5972
non-existing path in 'numpy/core': 'code_generators/array_api_order.txt'
[continues...]
scons: Reading SConscript files ...

scons: warning: Ignoring missing SConscript
'build/scons/numpy/core/SConscript'
File
"/usr/local/python-2.5.1/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numscons-0.9.4-py2.5.egg/numscons/core/numpyenv.py",
line 108, in DistutilsSConscript
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
scons: *** [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'numpy/core/../../build/scons/numpy/core/sconsign.dblite'
error: Error while executing scons command. See above for more information.
If you think it is a problem in numscons, you can also try executing the
scons
command with --log-level option for more detailed output of what numscons is
doing, for example --log-level=0; the lowest the level is, the more detailed
the output it.
[etc.]

then similar errors repeat themselves over and over including ignoreing
missing SConscript, and no sconsign.dblite file, until the build bombs out.

I've got numscons installed from pypi:
>>> import numscons.version
>>> numscons.version.VERSION
'0.9.4'

Can anyone get me on the right track here?

Thanks,

-Peter