[Numpy-discussion] Array shape

Kelly Vincent kpvincent@hotmail....
Fri Oct 3 11:39:39 CDT 2008

I'm using Numpy to do some basic array manipulation, and I'm getting some unexpected behavior from shape. Specifically, I have some 3x3 and 2x2 matrices, and shape gives me (5, 3) and (3, 2) for their respective sizes. I was expecting (3, 3) and (2, 2), for number of rows, number of columns. I'm assuming I must either be misunderstanding what shape gives you or doing something wrong. Can anybody give me any advice? I'm using Python 2.5 and Numpy 1.1.0.

Thanks,
Kelly