[Numpy-discussion] ImportError: No module named ma

Tue Oct 7 14:47:46 CDT 2008

John Harrold wrote:
> This should answer both of your questions:

> 1.0.1
> <module 'numpy.core.ma' from
> '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/numpy/core/ma.pyc'>
>
> I actually installed 1.2.0 using the installation package for OS X.
> However, I have no idea where it was installed to and how to instruct
> python to use the new one over the old.

the installation package for OS-X is for the python.org build -- from
the above, I can see you are running Apple's python, which came with a
version of numpy.

I don't remember how you installed matplotlib, but in general, most
extrenal packages are built for the python or python, so what I wold do is:

download and install python 2.5.2 from python.org (2.6 is brand new, and
not yet well supported by external packages)

re-install numpy 1.2.0 (may not be necessary, but it won't hurt)

re-install MPL.

you can tell what python you are running by typing "python" n the
command line -- it should be 2.5.2 if it's the python.org one. If that's
not what you get, you may need to edit your .bash_profile file to add it
to your PATH.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov