[Numpy-discussion] can't build numpy 1.2.0 under python 2.6 (windows-amd64) using VS9

Sat Oct 11 07:10:34 CDT 2008

Michael Abshoff wrote:

> Sure, but there isn't even a 32 bit gcc out there that can produce 64
> bit PE binaries (aside from the MinGW fork that AFAIK does not work
> particularly well and allegedly has issues with the cleanliness of some
> of the code which is allegedly the reason that the official MinGW people
> will not touch the code base) .

The biggest problem is that officially, there is still no gcc 4 release
for mingw. I saw a gcc 4 section in cygwin, though, so maybe it is about
to be released. There is no support at all for 64 bits PE in the 3 serie.

I think binutils officially support 64 bits PE (I can build a linux
hosted binutils for 64 bits PE with x86_64-pc-mingw32 as a target, and
it seems to work: disassembling and co). gcc 4 can work, too (you can
build a bootstrap C compiler which targets windows 64 bits IICR). The
biggest problem AFAICS is the runtime (mingw64, which is indeed legally
murky).

> Ok, that is a concern I usually do not have since I tend to build my own
> Python :).

I would say that if you can build python by yourself on windows, you can
certainly build numpy by yourself :) It took me quite a time to be able
to build python on windows by myself from scratch.

cheers,

David