[Numpy-discussion] Installation of Numerical Python

Peter numpy-discussion@maubp.freeserve.co...
Sat Oct 11 17:23:34 CDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Linda Seltzer wrote:

> I did not give permission to have the e-mail sent to the list.
> Please do not forawrd anyone's e-mail to a list without permission.

I must apologise for my error - I had honestly assumed your email had
been intended for the whole list.  This was partly because the email
address I use for this mailing list might be confusing
(numpy-discussion@...), but also your phrasing:

"Could someone please provide clear, detailed instructions for how to ..."

With hindsight this may have been a rhetorical question, but I did
think it was an open question to the whole list.

> Also, kindly do not send an entire list a message falsely stating that
> someone may be using code written by someone else.
> I have been reading various tutorials on the Internet, and they offer very
> incomplete information.  Also, it is necessary to minimize time spent on
> installation and system administration and maximize time spent on math.

I wasn't intending any insult - there is nothing inherently wrong with
using code written by someone else - Numeric, NumPy, SciPy and python
itself are all open source projects.  I merely said "I have the
impression you are using some existing code that someone else wrote",
partly to give context to the advice that followed.

If you are interested in the history of  Numeric and numpy (and the
occasional confusion between the two) see:
http://numpy.scipy.org/#older_array and
http://www.scipy.org/History_of_SciPy

For the actual numpy documentation, see the links on
http://www.scipy.org/Documentation

I hope any frustration getting numpy installed and working is short
lived, and wish you good luck with your work.

Peter