[Numpy-discussion] (Late) summary of PEP-225 discussion at Scipy

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Wed Oct 29 04:00:33 CDT 2008

Hi Fernando,

In Robert's comment, I think the reST processor somehow got rid of a
backslash. In my browser I see

	(I'm looking at you, Matlab's "")

although this is an aside that will be lost on anyone who hasn't used
the Matlab backslash operator anyway.

In fact, one other thing just came to mind that isn't obvious and (so
far as I can remember) hasn't been brought up: even though Robert and
others (myself included) really only care about an operator to
facilitate matrix multiplication, I think most of us would support the
~*=  (mentioned in the PEP) as a natural companion to ~*.

Am I right about this? I realize it can't buy you the same in-place
semantics as +-= and friends currently enjoy with numpy arrays, but I
think most folks would just *expect* it to work,  i.e. if foo is 3x4
and bar is 4x1 (or maybe a length 4 rank 1 array) then

	foo ~*= bar

results in foo now pointing to an array that (however you choose to
handle rank) contains exactly 3 elements.

Cheers,

David