[Numpy-discussion] Adding the ability to "clone" a few fields from a data-type

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Thu Oct 30 01:55:36 CDT 2008

2008/10/30 Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com>:
> Provide a kind of inaccessible and invisible dtype for implementing
> dummy fields. This is useful in other places like file parsing. At the
> same time, implement a function that uses this capability to make
> views with a subset of the fields of a structured array. I'm not sure
> that people need an API for replacing the fields of a dtype like this.

I have thought about adding such an invisible dtype before
(incidentally, it was while parsing files!).  I would be interested in
exploring this route further.

Regards
Stéfan