[Numpy-discussion] Complete LAPACK needed (Frank Lagor)

Frank Lagor dfranci@seas.upenn....
Fri Oct 31 14:42:21 CDT 2008

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to give an update here so that maybe it will be easier for
someone to help me out now.

I have gone through the lapack installation and the atlas installation and
everything seems to have worked fine.  Everything was compiled using the
'fPIC' option and I figured out how to make shared blas and lapack library
files with atlas.  Also, I figured out how to tell Atlas that I want a
COMPLETE lapack.  Now I am having trouble with the numpy install.

In the site.cfg file, I included the location where I have the include and
lib files for lapack.  After install, when I test, I get the following:
[dfranci@alpha ~]$ python -c 'import numpy; numpy.test()'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/ronaldo/pkg/dfranci/Python-2.5.2/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py",
line 143, in <module>
    import linalg
  File
"/ronaldo/pkg/dfranci/Python-2.5.2/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/linalg/__init__.py",
line 47, in <module>
    from linalg import *
  File
"/ronaldo/pkg/dfranci/Python-2.5.2/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/linalg/linalg.py",
line 29, in <module>
    from numpy.linalg import lapack_lite
ImportError: liblapack.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

I notice one thing here that concerns me: numpy is trying to import a module
that it calls "lapack_lite".  Does numpy always build such a module?  If I
am trying to get the complete lapack, did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Frank