[Numpy-discussion] numpy build on windows

Miroslav Sabljic civija@gmail....
Fri Sep 5 06:46:33 CDT 2008

On 9/5/08, David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> First, you are trying to build with numpy 1.0.2, which is really old.
> Update to a more recent version.

Yes, 1.0.2 is the version we are using on Linux so I went with that
one. I will try newer version.

> The error you are seeing may indicate that it is not possible to build
> python 2.5 extensions with VS 2008 with distutils (the message says
> distutils did not detect VS 2008 installation, and that may well be
> caused by distutils not knowing how to deal with VS 2008).

The same error was when I was building PIL library, so I had to apply
small patch to msvccompiler.py file in Python's distutils and export
DISTUTILS_USE_SDK and MSSDK env variables to override builtin settings
which were always looking for VS 2003 compiler, then the build process
went without a problem. I followed the instructions described here
http://jeethurao.com/blog/?p=35.

> How did you build python with VS 2008 ?

With VS 2008. I opened Python-2.5.1\PCbuild8\pcbuild.sln file with
Visual Studio, included project files for tkinter, ssl, bddsb, etc...
and everything was built without problems. I have the full Python
2.5.1 distribution build, identical as the Python-2.5.1.msi
installation from python.org.

> P.S: Not to discourage you, but it will certainly be painful to build
> numpy with VS 2008 and python 2.5, because 2.5 distutils does not really
> handle VS 2008, and we use distutils for the build, and also because
> AFAIK, numpy has never been built with VS 2008 yet (2.6 will support VS
> 2008, so that's something which will be fixed sooner rather than later,
> assuming numpy C code cannot be compiler with VS 2008 now).

Thanks for the info. It would certanly be bad news for me if numpy
really can't be build with VS 2008. I will try with numpy 1.1.1 and
see what happens.

--
Best regards,
  Miroslav