[Numpy-discussion] patch for new mgrid / ogrid functionality

David M. Kaplan David.Kaplan@ird...
Mon Sep 15 02:56:53 CDT 2008

Hi,

Ahh, yes, I forgot about that problem - if you have mixed types forcing
to an array doesn't make much sense and can have undesired results such
as forcing numbers to strings unless you explicitly force to an object
array.  As this would be undesirable in most non-mixed cases, you would
need to type check everything....

This ability to mesh non-numerical arrays has lots of uses and I think
the change to a list will be transparent for most users who never use
the packed array.  Also, this makes ogrid and mgrid return consistent
type objects.  Therefore, I think it is worth the API change.

Cheers,
David

--
David M. Kaplan