[Numpy-discussion] building numpy locally but get error: undefined symbol: zgesdd_

Tue Sep 16 01:49:29 CDT 2008

Francis Drossaert wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am trying to install python2.5/scipy/numpy/sympy/matplotlib locally,
> because of various reasons. I am not root.

Do you really need python 2.5 ? By building your own python, you are
forcing yourself to build every package you will need for python,
including the dependencies. For matplotlib, it will be painful. Python
2.4 is enough (incidentally, I have to use Centos 5 at some place, on
the same architecture).

For Blas/Lapack, how did you build them ? (Which version, which
makefile, which fortran compiler).

> However after installing I tried to import numpy in python and
> received to following error:  ImportError:
> /users/francisd/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so:
> undefined symbol: zgesdd_

What lapack_lite.so does depend on ? (ldd
/users/francisd/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so)

> Googling this error, it seems that the error is caused by having a
> wrong lapack version. I am running Centos 5 (basically Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 5) on a x86_64 machine.

Unfortunately, it can be many things. Blas/Lapack/Atlas are difficult to
build by yourself, there are tens of way to screw up at any point. If
you give us the above information, it should be clearer where exactly an
error was made

cheers,

David