[Numpy-discussion] building numpy locally but get error: undefined symbol: zgesdd_

Tue Sep 16 04:18:04 CDT 2008

Francis wrote:

> I don't really need Python2.5. Python2.4 is actually available on the
> network but I think I will run into problems using the network one and
> try using local libraries.

No, it is perfectly supported (I do it all the time, even on my own
machines where I have root rights). You use --prefix when installing
packages, and you need to make sure that PYTHONPATH is correctly set up,
e.g.:

python setup.py install --prefix=$HOME/local # will install in
$HOME/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages for python2.4

And set PYTHONPATH to:
PYTHONPATH=$HOME/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH.

You can check which path you use by doing: python -c "import numpy;
print numpy.__file__".

>  I assume one would need to change the paths
> on a file which I can't change. Anyway I installed Python2.5 without
> any problems.

The problem is that when building software, you generally don't know
whether you did it right or wrong before much later, by building other
softwares on the top of it. For numpy/scipy, it is not too much of a
problem, because they only depend on the interpreter, but for
matplotlib, you will have to build pygtk/pyqt/etc... Since it does not
make a difference to use your own python or the included python, you
should use it. I personally use python2.4 on Centos to build numpy/scipy
myself.

> Output:
>
>         libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x00002b4187472000)
>         libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00002b418768c000)
>         /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00000036b8800000)

For some reason, lapack has not been linked. Can you build numpy from
scratch and give us the build.log ? For example, in the source tree:

rm -rf ./build && python setup.py build &> build.log

cheers,

David