[Numpy-discussion] building numpy locally but get error: undefined symbol: zgesdd_

Tue Sep 16 10:13:12 CDT 2008

Francis wrote:
> You are right. I have recompiled everything with gfortran, but now I
> get the following error when I try to import numpy: undefined symbol:
> _gfortran_concat_string.

This means something at some point was not built with gfortran, or that
you did not use gfortran to build numpy. Which .so file generates this
error ? Can you give us the result of ldd on that .so ?

Also, are you sure libraries paths are correctly propagated ? In
particular, you should have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set up correctly to where
you put your bustom-built libraries.

> I have build a while ago sage-math (where everything is build
> locally), but I delete it since it was over 1GB and I am only
> interested in numpy+scipy+sympy+matlibplot. Although I did not test it
> extensive, importing numpy and scipy was not a problem.

Yes, I think they package everything by themselves. I am starting to
think that we should do the same for blas/lapack, that's also how R does
it by default, and I am so tired of seeing the same errors coming again
and again. I think that distributions will never package blas/lapack
correctly, it is hopeless.

You could also try EPD,

cheers,

David