[Numpy-discussion] numpy.complex* functions do not call the __complex__ method

Neal Becker ndbecker2@gmail....
Thu Sep 25 07:51:35 CDT 2008

jason-sage@creativetrax.com wrote:

> In creating an array of type numpy.complex128, I'm having problems
> passing in Sage types that should be considered complex numbers since
> they implement the standard __complex__ method.  However, numpy doesn't
> recognize that.  Here's a minimal example:

I had tried to add my own complex_int class (using c++ code).  Although partly successful, I was not able to get x.real to work.  The reason is that PyArray_ISCOMPLEX is used in various places, and this is a hard-coded macro.  There is no way to extend numpy's complex behavior to support user added types.  I wish there was.