[Numpy-discussion] Cython: Passing numpy array into C via buffer?

Richard Shaw jrs65@cam.ac...
Fri Sep 26 05:33:10 CDT 2008

Hello,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I've been looking around all
the Cython documentation and I can't find out if this is possible.

What I would like to do is generally is wrap a C function that takes a
double array, and be able to pass in a numpy array, I was wondering if
it's possible to do this using the buffer interface? I understand I
could do it using this method (http://wiki.cython.org/WrappingNumpy),
but the buffer interface seems much neater.

Specifically, I have a C function that I would like to wrap with signature:

#### cfile.h
double do_something(double * array, int len);

I was hoping with the buffer interface, I could do something like this:

#### pyfile.pyx
import numpy
cimport numpy

cdef extern from "cfile.h"
	double do_something(double * array, int len)

cdef do_something_python(numpy.ndarray[numpy.float64, ndim = 1] numarr):
	cdef double x
	cdef double * data
	cdef int l

	data = ... # Not sure what to do here
	l = numarr.shape[0]

	x = do_something(data, l)

The above probably doesn't work for many reasons (I've just jotted it
down), but the think I can't figure out is what to do at the "data =
..." line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Richard