[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.2.0

Sat Sep 27 02:55:59 CDT 2008

Thomas Heller wrote:

> Well, the first question is:  What does happen when I install the SSE3 version
> (or how it's called) on my machine, use py2exe to build an app, and this
> app runs on a SSE2 machine - degraded performance, or hard crashes?

Hard crash. That's the whole point of the installer, actually: install
the right version. The problem is two fold:
    - it is practically impossible to force ATLAS to configure itself to
use an instruction set different than the one used to build ATLAS.
    - we don't have a system to dynamically load the right ATLAS when
importing numpy.

Note that this is not new: you had the problem before, because before,
numpy was *only* built with SSE2 support, and any machine wo SSE2 would
crash when using numpy.

> So, maybe the gui could allow to select whether to install the high-performance
> version specialized for the current cpu, or a more portable but a little bit
> slower version (I assume there is one included) that can be safely used for py2exe.

Is it really complicated to decompress the .exe to get the installers
and choose the one you want ? I am reluctant to add a GUI option because
nsis is primitive, and adding gui is no fun (I use it only because it is
open source and has a plug-in system; the scripting language to build
the binary is awful). Also, the nsis installer itself has no GUI on
purpose, to avoid confusing people with a two stages installer.

cheers,

David