[Numpy-discussion] xml-rpc with numpy arrays

Sebastien Binet hep.sebastien.binet@gmail....
Tue Sep 30 19:52:40 CDT 2008

Brian,

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 17:27:32 Brian Blais wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2008, at 18:42 , Sebastien Binet wrote:
> > yeah... Robert pointed it to me that as xmlrpc is meant for cross-
> > language RPC,
> > sending python objects over the wire isn't so useful, hence the
> > usage of marshal
> > instead of pickle.
>
> thanks for all of the help.  My initial solution is to pickle my
> object, with the text-based version of pickle, and send it across
> rpc.  I do this because the actual thing I am sending is a
> dictionary, with lots of arrays, and other things.  I'll have a look
> at the format that Robert sent, because that looks useful for other
> things I am doing.
>
> Sebastien, why is sending python objects over the wire not so
> useful?
it isn't useful if you don't have a python interpreter instance on the other end
of the wire, ie a python program on one end and a javascript one on the other
end :)
 (well, you can always re-engineer the pickle format to unpickle what you
received, etc... it is 'just' a matter of programming)

cheers,
sebastien.
--
# Dr. Sebastien Binet