[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

Thu Apr 9 06:22:59 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 03:04:37PM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>  - git is not discoverable (you need to read some documentation)

Yes, I found that when I tried to use git to quickly get a few basic
things done, I had a lot of stupid problems:

$ git stat
git: 'stat' is not a git-command

The most commonly used git commands are:
   add           Add file contents to the index

[...]

=> WTF?? Every single VCS works with 'stat'. Why do I need to learn
something new.

$ git up
git: 'up' is not a git-command

[...]

=> Right, I am starting to like this soft

$ git info
git: 'info' is not a git-command

[...]

=> Really, you are kidding me.

$ git revert
usage: git-revert [--edit | --no-edit] [-n] <commit-ish>

=> fsck-you, Git, I want to revert. I don't understand this error
message, I just want to revert. Seriously, I haven't figured out how to
revert. I would need to read the doc (I haven't).

I _really_ have an issue with the way git treats the user. It is pretty
"Well, lad, I am the best VCS in the world, and you are going to have to
relearn your VCS-foo to use me". Great way to loose developers, IMHO. I
whish the guys could make some small usability efforts.

My 2 cents,

Gaël